Organic cultivation of sweet pointed peppers in soil (pt 2)

Publication date: 24-06-2021

A trial with two varieties of sweet pointed peppers in the soil is currently underway in innovation centre 'de Kas'. In this trial, cultivation is carried out according to the usual organic cultivation method. However, when the crop needs it, organic Ca(NO3)2 is added. Read more about the trial design and start of this trial in our April article.

Well on the way

The first fruit set has now been harvested and the crop has become more balanced. Currently we have a nice spread of both young and harvestable pointed peppers. The quality of the fruit increases; they gain weight and ripen faster. The plant load has increased significantly as a result of the increased daily light sum.

Nutrient solution from the bioreactor

Currently, about 80% of the nutrient water is supplied by rain pipe. The remaining 20% is distributed by drippers over several turns. Moisture sensors are used to monitor the moisture content in the soil at different depths. During the dark and rainy days of this spring, we skipped some irrigation turns to keep the plants strong and active.

The nutrition from the compost is made available to the crop by the microhabitats in the soil. In addition, a nutrient solution with a lower EC value is supplied from the bioreactor. This combination meets the crop's needs for fruit setting and production, as may be expected during this thriving period of the year. The crop is therefore very healthy, vital, shiny and strong.

With the help of plant sap analyses, we gained more insight into the availability of nutrients. The distribution of nutrients and sugars is visualised in both the young and the old leaves. The results are used as a control tool for optimal growing conditions.

Biological control

At the beginning of the cultivation there was an aphid infestation that we curbed completely with biological control. This once again provides good proof that it is possible to get this under control in a completely biological way.

It deserves attention to be extra cautious during the ripening of upcoming fruit settings for a possible new aphid infestation. This can be achieved through a permanent deployment of biological control agents. In addition, the plant sap analyses are a useful tool to monitor potential aphid infestation.

More information

We will regularly share updates about this trial on our website. For more information, please contact us at rd@vanderknaap.info.

Other articles

> Organic cultivation of sweet pointed peppers in soil (pt 3)
> Substrate trial Lisianthus on ErfGoed cultivation floor
> Pot worm control by choosing the right substrate
> Press release: making potting soil and substrates more sustainable
> Lighting in innovation centre ‘de Kas’
> Organic cultivation of sweet pointed peppers in soil (pt1)
> Press release by VPN
> Collaboration Van der Knaap and Biobest in 'de Kas'
> Discover the possibilities of innovation centre 'de Kas'
> The perfect sensor for coco substrates
> Sustainable: drying plugs with geothermal heat
> Opening of Van der Knaap México
> Van der Knaap Group celebrates 40th anniversary
> Out now: the latest Grow-How!
> Lettuce in a hydroponic system: 100% organic nutrients
> Breakthrough in organic cultivation
> Van der Knaap Group resumes coco production
> Compact cultivation of kalanchoe without the use of Tilt
> Weed control with TopControl
> Satisfied students after using Forteco Power in All Climate Greenhouse
> New Holland Potgrond mixing line ready
> Influence of substrate on shelf life of Phalaenopsis
> Van der Knaap rises in the Hillenraad100
> Update on Holland Potgrond Poeldijk renovations
> New state-of-art propagation plugs with Ellepot paper
> Installation of Holland Potgrond mixing line
> Westland alderpersons visit Van der Knaap Groep
> Van der Knaap joins the Greenhouse Horticulture Club of 100
> Successful orchid knowledge day at Van der Knaap
> Van der Knaap signs for geothermal energy
> Reopening Antalya Substrat
> Van der Knaap at Hortiflor Beijing
> 'Van der Knaap square' at WHC
> HortiContact GO 2018
> "Outstandingly Positive Mood" at IPM ESSEN 2018
> Van der Knaap Group concludes agreement with NatureFresh Farms
> New: Fibre-Neth® Bookplug
> The Van der Knaap Group takes part in Demokwekerij Westland

Van der Knaap uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Cookies shall be used only for functional and analytical purposes. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Please read our privacy statement for more information.